Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

I've reviewed a few of J.D. George's books this year -- with mixed feelings.  I love her ideas, but something's always missing (it seems) in the execution.  Not that she's a bad writer, mind you.  She isn't.  She plots extremely well (which is more than I can say for some other books I've read this year), but that little something that makes a book isn't there.

Or wasn't.

Tuesdays at the Castle is unique -- ostensibly written for a younger audience, it is a delightful romp of a fairytale, so fun to read that parents might want to take over the reading responsibilities for a few nights.

Another word for this story is appropriate.  And not the boring definition.  It's appropriate because of the way the subject matter is handled.  It doesn't turn dark, twisted and horrifying.  It has sad parts, scary parts, hilarious parts...but none of it ever feels threatening, and for a younger audience, that's important.

I don't want my (future) kids always reading one wretched tale after the other about poor young children who are stuck in horrible situations with no hope of a better future and no way to change their fate.  I want them to read books like this, about kids with spunk, bravery, mischievousness, and heart.

(And I also think it would make a great family movie)


No comments:

Post a Comment