Friday, March 16, 2012

Script Frenzy 2012

I'm excited about SF 2012.  I've put a badge on my blog, done some real work on my screenplay (some pre-work, anyway), and gone ahead and signed in to my SF account.

My fingers are itching to get to work -- literally.

I've been trying to decide how much pre-work to put into my screenplay -- I'm still a mix of panster/hyper-organizer.  I am making "To Do" lists (movies to watch, playlists to make, a board on Pinterest for inspiration and information) while scribbling anything that comes to mind into a notebook while hoping it doesn't end up a mess by the end of the first week.

The thrill of Script Frenzy is almost tangible.

Less than two weeks and I will be tapping the keyboard to produce my first movie screenplay (I've done a graphic novel and TV scripts, plus some novels for NaNoWriMo).

Between my critiques of books (more are coming -- I'm currently reading a cookbook, a biography, an anthology, and several books that are first-in-their-series) I will be posting my progress (or lack thereof) in Script Frenzy, and maybe some things I've learned.

Today I wanted to mention something Chris Baty wrote about in his book No Plot? No Problem! which I've gone back to over and over again as I contemplate doing another year of NaNoWriMo or ScriptFrenzy and wonder just how crazy I am for doing this year after year. 

He was talking about having references when you're writing -- most people think of the dictionary, a thesaurus, or maybe a style formatting book.

Mr. Baty recommends one of your favorite books (or movie scripts, or whatever you're writing).  Why?  Because a) you love it and b) it's properly formatted. 

So when you want to check on where parentheses go, or where dialogue quotes get left out, you can find it in something you love.

That makes a lot of sense to me, and I'm going to treasure that little bit of info while I write.

What's your best tip for writing something in 30 days?  Want to join the fun?  Check out scriptfrenzy.org

No comments:

Post a Comment