Friday, March 9, 2012

Currently Reading, Goodreads, & ScriptFrenzy

Books I'm currently reading (and will write about next week):

Tuesdays at the Castle - Jessica Day George (already more engaging than her last two books)
How to Be A Movie Star: Elizabeth Taylor in Hollywood - William J. Mann (not the memoir I was hoping for -- it's very stiff at the moment)
What-The-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy - Gregory Maguire (didn't realize it was by the man who wrote Wicked...it's a little condescending and rough but here's hoping)

I am still reading through the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson (CANNOT GET ENOUGH!), finished Fang (book six) and found out they did not have the Kindle edition for Angel (book seven) so will get the hard copy from the library.  Also, I hate coming in at the end of a series -- I'd much rather wait until it is all OVER.  The last book, Nevermore, comes out in August.  Can I wait that long?!?!?!

I am poking around Goodreads, trying to find out how I can maximize its potential for my needs.  So far I've made a list of to-reads, categorized probably 1/2 of what I've read in my entire life, and played some trivia.  One of the book quizzes got me mad because I didn't agree with the question...had a lively discussion about who Voldemort's "Right Hand Man" would have been (who do you think it is?) with the husband and friends.  So far, Goodreads is fun and mostly helpful...but besides saying what books I've read, and how good I think they are, what else can you use GoodReads for?  I like it, don't get me wrong -- I'm just curious what other people like about it.  (Maybe if I'm a published author someday I'll use it to garner stellar reviews -- ha!)  You can find me here: SnapeFan4Life

And, ScriptFrenzy approaches!  I promised myself I'd plot out my potential movie project (I still don't know whether I want to write a movie or a graphic novel) but so far, zilch.  I am taking some days off during Spring Break (so helpful that everyone's gone!  Taking time off is much easier when nobody needs you) and when I'm not watching Dollhouse (again) with my brother, I'll probably be plotting.

If you haven't ever participated in ScriptFrenzy or NaNoWriMo, I think you should.  Not only is it a valuable learning experience (how well do you work under pressure?  How do you plot/write most efficiently?  What do you like to write?  Still figuring out these questions, myself) but it connects you to people around the globe -- some will be great contacts in the literary world, some your cheerleaders, some may write your new favorite books, and some might become long-term pen pals.  I've learned a TON from taking part in these events every year, and you should do it just once for the experience.  And I also know a few authors who started out as NaNoWriMo participants who now have books on real bookstore-bookshelves...

Have a great weekend, everybody.  Sorry this post is so jumpy/disorganized. 

What are you reading these days?  Have you read The Maximum Ride series?  (If so, please don't give me spoilers.  Just tell me if you liked it or not)  And...have you participated in ScriptFrenzy/NaNoWriMo?  What was your experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment