Sunday, April 8, 2012

Frey by Joss Whedon

And so continues my glut of comic books -- I've read a half dozen -- Batman: Faces, Serenity: Better Days, X-Men Noir, Axe Cop, Frey and The Cleaners.

Axe Cop you can read about below.

The others were good but I don't feel like they all *need* a review.  So I'm picking the one I really loved -- Joss Whedon's Frey.

I'm an unabashed Whedonite -- so I can't believe I didn't know about this comic book before (although I have not read his Buffy Season 8 comic -- which will soon be remedied as I am borrowing them from a friend this week).

Frey is set in the Slayer 'verse, years and years and years after Buffy's time.  It's an even weirder universe, crowded with monster mob bosses who live underwater, people scarred by radiation (missing limbs, etc.) and "lurks" (the new word for vampire).

I didn't expect to love it as much as I did -- and I'm not really sure why.  I think it might be because I wasn't sure how he would translate his amazing characters, witty banter and awesome fight scenes into comics.  Well, I shouldn't have worried.  Joss knows what he's doing.

The main character, Malaka Frey, is full of personality -- Joss made sure she wasn't just another big-chested fight machine who manages to somehow be mostly decent while scantily clad.

I felt like she was a real person -- albeit a real person who lives in crazy-land.  She had to figure out what was going on, make tough choices, and make a few mistakes.

Of course, Joss also pulls a typical Joss-y thing: killing off characters you actually liked.  But it made sense with the story, so I guess I can handle it (just hand me a tissue).

While wondering what Joss was going to do after Cabin in the Woods and The Avengers (both of which I am ecstatic about -- going to see Cabin in the Woods next week!!), this was a good reminder that whatever he does, it's going to be AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment