Monday, November 26, 2012

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Almost forgot to post today!  Vacation is over and tomorrow begins the four week march toward the Christmas holidays.

Luckily, I have a slowly dwindling stack of books to comfort me in the meantime.  Since Friday I have consumed eight books and am in the midst of three others.

I have been thinking lately about the feel of books, which is something like the voice of the character + setting/tone + the font, for me.  D you see what I mean? Hearing the voice of the character in my head while seeing the story unfold in my head and watching the sharp or soft words fly by...

The first story this week that presented itself harmoniously to me was Wonderstruck.

I was already a huge fan of Mr. Selznick because of his beautiful, breathtaking work The Invention of Hugo Cabret.  I was thrilled when I spied Wonderstruck and realized it was told in the same way.

Mr. Selznick is something of a trailblazer, innovator, revolutionary, when it comes to sharing stories. He twines people together and between the words explains with the most wonderful, emotive drawings.  The words and pictures blend together in a smooth, satisfying panorama and as you are completely engulfed in wonder, you begin to understand what a story really is.

There's no magic or fantastical elements, yet the stories feel magical.  It's one of those things that you carry around secretly in your mind that will still hold meaning years down the road.  These are stories that will stay with you forever, like oldest and best friends.

Wonderstruck was perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment