Friday, November 2, 2012

First Line Friday No. 13

I was browsing in a Barnes & Noble last night when I spotted a familiar name: Jasper Fforde (Which I thought for sure was a pen name -- it's too cool to be real!).  I'd been hearing the name the last few weeks among NaNoers, so I picked up his newest book and read the inside jacket.

I immediately scribbled down the title to add to my Goodreads list.

Here's a peek at the first few lines:


"It looked set to become even hotter by the afternoon, just when the job was becoming more fiddly and needed extra concentration.  But the fair weather brought at least one advantage: dry air makes magic work better and fly farther.  Moisture has a moderating effect on the mystical arts.  No sorcerer worth their sparkle ever did productive work in the rain -- which probably accounts for why getting showers to start was once considered easy, but getting them to stop was nearly impossible."

-- from The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde (which is actually his real name)

Reasons I'm intrigued:

1.  A place with magic is ALWAYS exciting.
2. "No sorcerer worth their sparkle..."  That phrase delights me for reasons unknown.
3. The explanation about rain - very practical and grounded in what feels like reality.
4.  Was "once" considered easy?  Is Magic leaving?  Why?
5. The title -- doesn't The Last Dragonslayer sound incredibly epic???

What do you think -- does this make you want to rush to the bookstore (or as in my case, the library) and peek in this book to find out what exactly is going on?  I can't wait to read more!

Happy NaNovember, by the way!  I'm over 2,000 words in and am happier than I have ever been with a story.  It is completely plotted (although some of it is a bit vague) and I've got a title.  If I feel like procrastinating later, I may come up with a cover...!

See you on Monday for a review of Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi!

No comments:

Post a Comment