As you may notice, I have skipped Prisoner of Azkaban -- but only because I've mislaid the notes and will have to hunt them up. I'm splitting Goblet of Fire into two parts because a Hufflepuff is ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS (!!!) in this story.
In Goblet of Fire, we see:
- Cedric Diggory, the 17 year old Captain and Seeker of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team (reportedly handsome, modest, kind, and fair)
- Ernie McMillan (4th year -- 1 year older than Harry) greeting the trio at the Quidditch World Cup
- Cedric's father, Amos (presumably a Hufflepuff) leading the charge against the makers of the Dark Mark -- shows courage, although he does get carried away in trying to uncover the truth
- We hear about "Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad" and "For Hufflepuff, hard workers are most worthy of admission" from The Sorting Hat
- 3rd and 4th students mentioned at Sorting Ceremony are Hufflepuffs -- Eleanor Branstone and Owen Cauldwell
- 2 more are sorted during the ceremony -- Laura Madley and Kevin Whitby (These four Hufflepuffs are more mentions than any other house gets during the Sorting Ceremony)
- One of the Hufflepuff students, a Mr. Summers, attempts an aging potion in order to compete in the Tri-Wizard Tournament -- fails
- Ron and Seamus verbally abuse Hufflepuff (and Cedric) throughout the book, although it's quite clear there's nothing in it except envy and grudge-holding
- Cedric Diggory, a HUFFLEPUFF, is named the Hogwarts Champion -- THE ONLY TRUE HOGWARTS CHAMPION CHOSEN BY THE GOBLET OF FIRE IS A HUFFLEPUFF. I find this fact to be a powerful refute to the notion that Hufflepuffs are useless, stupid duffers. Quite the contrary!
- Ernie and Justin quite perturbed at Harry for stealing their hero's glory (later cheer for Harry AND Cedric once they realize H in no way wanted to be a Champion)
- Cedric's wand contains a single hair of a particularly fine male unicorn -- the wand is pleasantly springy and made of ash.
- Cedric left out of Rita Skeeter's Daily Prophet article (no surprise there)
- Cedric and Harry have a mutual respect for each other (when Harry isn't being insanely jealous of Cedric for spending time with Cho Chang), even helping each other out with the tasks
Anything you were surprised by?
I've searched the web a few times and it looks like no one has listed all the sightings of Hufflepuff throughout the series, or written a scholarly article about Hufflepuff and the misperceptions people seem to have about the house. It feels a little strange (and thrilling) to be exploring new territory in the Potterverse. If you find a list of all the sightings, or any articles relating to Hufflepuff, leave a link below in the comments.
Thanks! See you Wednesday for another installment of Write Wednesday.