Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Chaos Walking Trilogy

So, was not able to finish the last book of the Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness.  I wanted to review the trilogy as a whole.  I'm going to talk a little bit about it and review the entire thing next week.

I found these books through Goodreads.  I thought the first one, The Knife of Never Letting Go, was a standalone book about angsty modern teens (which I'd written about in an earlier post).  I was delighted to discover that it was in fact a sci-fi novel about the difference between men and good men.  It was brilliant, breathtaking, unique from any other sci-fi I'd ever read.

I read the book, gasping, squealing, shouting, crying.  I was a mess.  And book one did nothing to avert my agony.  The ending was the most cliff hangery of endings and I immediately dove into book two.  Again, high emotion, depth, thought provoking twists and turns.  And darn it, another cliffhanger.

I'm about halfway through book three and it is even more confusing and tangled (in a good way) than the last two.  The world is crumbling around these two main characters and honestly, I don't know how they're going to survive.

If you enjoy high stakes, political, theological, racial discussions, exploring gender and role expectations, or want a good frontier sci-fi that'll make you holler...you really need to read these.

I'll be more technical and specific in my review next week, but now you know just how much I've enjoyed these books.  You can find the prequel short on Amazon for free if you're interested.

See you tomorrow for Write Wednesday, in which I discuss dialogue!

No comments:

Post a Comment