Monday, January 14, 2013

Gunn's Golden Rules by Tim Gunn (with Ada Calhoun)

I have long been an admirer of Tim Gunn, mentor of the fabulous fashion reality show Project Runway.  He is always dressed to the nines, he's objective, and he's nice.  Which is a rare combination to find in the fashion industry.

Tim has inspired me to stick to my guns when it comes to good manners.  I was raised with a higher etiquette than I needed, I think, but most of the rules I still believe in (but I don't serve dinner with three forks, although I know which ones to use should an opportunity arise).

This is Tim's second book (his first is an excellent look at creating your own style -- Tim Gunn's Guide to Quality, Taste & Style) and might be my favorite because it's like sitting down with Tim for a little chat about people, fashion, and some life lessons about 'making it work'.

This is quintessential Tim -- amused at his own quirkiness (and others'), practical, somewhat fatherly advice about the hard lessons you need to learn, and sharing just enough about his life to make you curious.

Some of my favorite advice: "The World Owes You...Nothing".  Work for what you want.  And 'make it work'.  The sense of entitlement these last few generations have is...rather mind boggling.  Most of them think they're going to be famous (!!).  And a lot of people, in general, don't take the time to think about others.  Wouldn't the world be a much nicer place if we took care to have good manners, be kind, and take the high road?

Although there are some gossipy bits in this book (they're mostly a tongue-in-cheek poke at the fashion industry), the overall outlook is one of "Aren't we silly?  Let's do better" instead of a raking through the coals.

Thank goodness for people like Tim who still believe in the niceties of life.

If you've ever wondered about Tim's background, the craziness of the fashion industry, or what happens behind the scenes at Project Runway (or if you feel, like Tim, that more people could be better), you should read this book.

See you all on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment