Tuesday, July 31, 2012

You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One!) by Jeff Goins

Jeff pulled a quick punch with this one.  It's a short, fast read that leaves you with several meals' worth of food for thought.

The biggest thing he talks about is that you have to act like a writer, whether you believe it or not.  You have to show up every day and write.  You have to think about how you present yourself (as a writer).  You need to have some kind of platform.  You need to network.

I think this is the kick-in-the-pants that I needed.  I've been moaning and groaning about not doing something with my life, and...well, why not write?  I can park my rear in a chair and pound out a few thousand words a day.  Nothing is stopping me, except me.

I can write small things, for starters -- articles, blog posts, a meme -- anything that keeps me writing.

As soon as I read about building a platform (using social media like Twitter, Facebook, Wordpress, your own website, whatever), a few things popped into my head that won't go away.

He's right.  You need to START with small steps, build a platform (and an audience), and keep writing so that as you get better, the opportunities start getting better too.

This is a MUST READ for anyone who is struggling with their writing.  You're not a promoter, marketer, or networker, you're a WRITER, but you need those building blocks (for a short time you might have to do all those things, until you get an agent and publisher with their own teams of promoters/marketers) to start off well.

I'm going to be thinking about this a lot and may be revamping this site (or creating a new one) as an author/artist blog with lots of goodies for readers...

...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment