Friday, August 24, 2012

First Line Friday No. 3

Howdy!

Today's First Line Friday choice is a book I have been raving about for months.  Nobody else I know has read it (although since I purchased a copy I'm hoping my husband will so we can discuss) but it is so breathtakingly beautiful and real that I must share it.

Here are the opening lines:

"Look up at the Plaza Regent, Blink, in the shivery morning light.  Count the floors -- take your pick. 

You're wearing the Blessed Breakfast Uniform: the Adidas, sparkly white; the tan Gap cargoes; the yellow Banana Republic polo; the red cotton hooded full-zip.  Lifted, all of it, from a gym locker at Jarvis Collegiate, where the posh children drift down from Rosedale on shining bikes or are disgorged from BMWs.  You pick a boy about your size.  You followed him to school one day, which was against the rules."

From Blink & Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones

Why I love it SO MUCH:

1. The unique character voice/POV.  I've never read another book that uses this style.  And I can't imagine it's easy to do. I also love the character names and development, as well as how they process their world.

2. The Capitalization of Important Words.  For some reason, I adore this.

3. "disgorged from BMWs" is perfect -- I see it.

4. I love the line, "You followed him to school one day, which was against the rules."  (Mary Had A Little Lamb?  I just caught it this time -- I don't know if it was on purpose or not but it makes me giggle)

5.  The redemptive theme is so strong and bright here.  It's my favorite theme and whenever I see it displayed so brilliantly it lifts me up and gives me wings.

(Note: there is language in the book as well as a few scenes where adult situations are talked about, as well as some violence.  There's no sex, however, and trust me, this book is phenomenal.)

What catches your eye from these first few lines?  Do you think you'd like the character Blink?  And what do you think will happen next?

I'll see you all over the weekend for a review and then get ready for a REAL Writer Wednesday.  Sheesh.

Keep reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hello - just found your lovely review of my book A Year of Questions - so glad you enjoyed it! If you were able to copy it over onto Amazon it'd be hugely appreciated, but only if you want to. Thanks for writing it, waving from the UK...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona! I am thrilled to hear from you! I would love to post the review over on Amazon -- I will do that today.

    A wave back from the U.S.! Wish I was in the U.K., I know so many lovely people there!

    ReplyDelete