Friday, February 27, 2009

What is/are YOUR Genre(s) and Why?

Genres.

Western. Science Fiction. Mystery. Fantasy. Historical Fiction.

I don't know why the human race likes to categorize so much - maybe naming the animals was so much fun that we can't help naming things now - I know I tend to name a lot of inanimate objects - like the external hard drive that my office has - his name is Sam.

I was thinking about how complicated it might be to be genre-less but you know what? I don't think it would be that complicated. It's complicated NOW with all the hybrids - SciFi/Fantasy, Fantasy/Western, Mystery/Historical/Thriller, etc. I think it would be interesting to see what the publishing world would be like without genres. "What's the book like?" "You just have to read it, I can't explain." I don't know...it might work. :) Just a thought.

HOWEVER

There is one reason I do like the idea of genres - it helps me know what sort of person I'm talking to. "I LOVE the Christian Fiction/Romance Section!" Sadly, I don't think that person and I have a lot (if anything) in common and therefore have not much to talk about. (Maybe we can talk about something besides books?) I'm not saying I love talking to everyone who's a sci-fi nerd either - there are definite things I do and don't like, books I love and hate, and if the sci-fi nerd's one of those elitist snots who can't appreciate other genres...well I won't really have a lot to talk about with them either. But, usually, the people who enjoy the genres I do will have more to talk about and introduce each other to.

My favorite genres are Sci-Fi and Fantasy (big surprise), although when I was younger I mostly just read historical fiction, mystery, and the classics. I love all five of these areas and I am open to trying new genres, although I doubt the Romance section will hold much interest for me. If the whole story revolves around 2 people sleeping together...well, I'm not interested. Do something cool for a change. :)

What are your favorite genres?

Here are some lists of my favorite genres and good books in each:

Historical Fiction

1. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
2. Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray
3. The Stowaway by Karen Hesse

Mystery

1. The Harlquin Teaset & Other Stories by Agatha Christie
2. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
3. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Classics

1. Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
2. Persuasion by Jane Austen
3. Kim by Rudyard Kipling

Sci-Fi

1. The Giver by Lois Lowry
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
3. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Fantasy

1. The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix
2. The Arkadians by Lloyd Alexander
3. The Wrinkle in Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle

I think a lot can be gained from each genre...there are definite lessons reiterated in each section of literature...perhaps that is why we are drawn to certain genres...anway,

Enjoy the weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I don't like "genres" just good stories. It's weird. I'm the same way with music. Some fantasy I hate, some I like. Some historical fiction I hate, some I like. It's never consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah - that's why I have some beef w/ "genre"-ing everything. If it's a good story, I'll like it. It's just that most of my favorite stories are in those five genres. :)

    Did you finish The Little Prince?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Arkadians is definitely underrated at large. Ender's Game is definitely overrated at large.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Arkadians...I would have put up something besides Ender's game but they could mostly be classified as Sci-Fi/Fantasy and hybrids make things too complicated...:)

    Mark,I was reading about Lloyd Alexander yesterday...apparently, he's a Christian, or that's what I read. Random fact. Did you ever read "The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen"? That's my other favorite of his.

    ReplyDelete